Kansas Homebuyer Education
Buying a home is an exciting time! But without the necessary information, the process can sometimes be a little intimidating.
Homebuyer education is key in helping homeowners understand the process from when they first decide they are ready to purchase a home to what their responsibilities are after they have the keys to their new home.
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka has compiled a list of standards of what an effective homebuyer education/counseling program should contain:
1. Homeownership Pros and Cons
3. Goal Setting and Money Management
4. Pre-Qualifying and Loan-Worthiness
5. Credit Repair and Debt Repayment Options
6. Down Payment, Closing Costs and Moving Expenses
7. Saving Techniques
8. Principal and Interest/Tax and Insurance PITI
9. Purchase Options
10. Mortgage Variables
12. Purchase Process
13. Avoiding Delinquency/Priority of House Payment
14. Home Maintenance
2013 Kansas Homebuyer Education Statewide Schedule click here
Another tool that may be helpful for some homeowners, allows someone to check for possible federal, state, and local programs that they may qualify for based on income and expenses. The questionnaire is very brief and available to everyone.
The following is a list of homebuying resources:
HUD - links to resources for Kansas homebuyers